I’ve experienced world travel and I’m looking forward to more as I grow comfortable to my new lifestyle. Canada…I’m coming for you next….#ShellSLAYSVancouver. Along the way, I’ve encountered different types of travelers (no, we are NOT all alike lol). Some will not settle for less than 3-stars and up hotels (Hey, Hilton!), while others prefer bed and breakfast accommodations (the Airbnbs’ and the HomeAways’) and hostels a.k.a. The DL (Dorm Life). Once you break those categories down, travelers’ have destination preferences. You have your Caribbean shakers, European lovers, African enthusiasts, Asian fiends, and so on and so forth. Then, there are the ones that are explorers of their own backyard. I call them The Domestics (it’s not that original but work with me lol). They are crowned the adventure seekers, looking for budget-friendly thrills, but still close to home. Lately, for those following my journey (sidenote: if you are new to my little rocky journey, check out my previous blog entries, thank you! ♥), I’ve been traveling around the U.S. because of some career/family adjustments and prior engagements in Houston. I will be back overseas by the end of 2017! Ok..ok….ok….so, what if you want to be around home for a bit?? WHERE do you go??? HOW do you get there????? Well, don’t worry, I’m going to tell you…of course!
DRIVING, RIDING, OR FLYING??
If you are like me, I ask myself 2 questions, 1.What’s really going to stretch my dollar? $$$$$$$$$ 2.What means more to me, time or convenience? Budgeting is important for ANY traveler! For example: In less than a year, I went to New Orleans twice, by bus and driving my SUV (Beep, Beep, who got the keys to the Jeep?! Meeeeeeee!).
Driving: $35 gas, 5 1/2 hours dest. time, more time to experience the city, forcing myself to stay awake, NO WIFI, limited free parking, which meant streetcar (local) transportation which I LOVED! Bus (Shoutout to Megabus!): $25 upper deck front window ticket, 8 hours dest. time, less time to experience the city, taking PLENTY of naps, FREE WIFI, and UBER UBER…everywhere (I will never forget about that $85 dollars!) That will be in my heart for-EVAAAAA (Cardi B voice)!
As for flying, even with my tricks, STILL $60 dollars one way for 1 1/2 hours dest. time…….nah. For that trip, I had a goal (still surprised by that sneak attack by Uber, $85 smh) of keeping my transportation costs lower than my experience costs (you need a budget for New Orleans food!).
BUUUUT, everyone is different, what is valued to you???
Now the GOLDEN QUESTION, WHERE DO I GO AROUND THE UNITED STATES?!?!!
Yep, there is New York, L.A., and Miami, nice places but what about the hidden gems?
MY TOP 8 FAV places to Visit in the United States (**)-places I really want to go to
- Austin, Texas – Food, Live Music, Food, Cool Vibes, Nice People, Hiking,…..did I say food?? If you want to stay away from the very ‘lit‘ 6th Street, there is the Alamo Drafthouse (to experience some ‘abnormal sing-a-longs’ during the movie) or go to South Congress Ave. (SoCo) on a Thursday where you can shop, eat, or just hang out late.
- Denver, Colorado – Beautiful mountain tops and hills, Lower Downtown nightlife, and THE BRONCOS! By far, one of the most beautiful places that I’ve been to. I suggest to go during the winter time to REALLY experience the scenery and the ski resorts!
- Nashville, Tennessee – Good..Classic..BBQ, Nashville Hot Chicken from Hattie B’s!, Sunday Brunches (which is taken SERIOUSLY), Live Country Music….I’m a Southern girl, ‘nough said.
- New Orleans, Louisiana – You guys should ALREADY KNOW how I feel about this city! Great cajun/creole food, great history (music, architecture, festivals), I can go on and on about this
place. Just know you will NEVER meet people like New Orleans people, you swear that you’ve been friends since forever ago when you meet. This city shows its rich, joyous soul….only when you look for it. Hint: It’s NOT on Bourbon Street.
- Seattle, Washington ** – Kerry Park (the BEST view of the city, you can do that needle if you have the money to spare!), Seattle Art Museum, Molly Moon’s Homemade Ice Cream, Paseo (cool Jamaican place featured on Travel Channel!)…just a few things that I will be doing there ♥
- Washington D.C ** – The Land of Museums…free museums! (and the African American Museum!) I’m a nerd at heart and I work in a museum..so, it’s evident what I will be doing for majority of my time *shrugs*.
- Arizona ** – The Grand Canyon, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, just pure God’s creation in my face ☺
- Maine ** – Not only is it the northeasternmost U.S. state, it has the
most beautiful shores full of lighthouses, beaches, and lobsters!
To be honest, I believe this is just for anyone, domestics and international lovers…shucks, from all walks of life! This is just a small taste of a testament that I am setting out for myself, another stamp to my self-discovery, if I can put it in words lol. If you are a traveler like me, a teacher, lawyer, or a barista….you have dreams and goals too! We have different paths, but we all strive for the same purpose: to better ourselves. Stick to your dreams (no matter how crazy they are!), anything is POSSIBLE!
This post is dedicated to my friends, my loves, my sisters, my brothers, my dreamers, my ‘doers’, my homies.